Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

123 gr ELD M for hunting

Anyone have any experience using the Hornady 123 gr ELD M for hunting? Hornady doesn’t make a lower weight ELD X in 6.5. This is for a Grendel. Have read multiple places that the 123 is basically an AMAX and this is the only weight Hornady did this with. Picture for attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Administrator
    Most people go with the 123gr SST. We sell a ton of them every year.
    Great performance, and expansion.
    The ELD-M is a match bullet with a thin jacket at the front, and tends to come apart

Title
    Premium Member
    I'm currently in Eastern Montana where the coyotes are thick and the shots can get long.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunGuy85 View Post
    Anyone have any experience using the Hornady 123 gr ELD M for hunting? Hornady doesn’t make a lower weight ELD X in 6.5. This is for a Grendel. Have read multiple places that the 123 is basically an AMAX and this is the only weight Hornady did this with. Picture for attention.

I shoot them in my 260 for coyotes. I hit one at 630 yards (my longest kill shot yet). There was no visible exit and until I skinned him, I didn't know where I'd even hit him at until I skinned him. He was bedded down and looking back at me when I shot him. The bullet hit just behind his shoulder and came out just beside his asshole. The entry didn't look bad, but his whole leg and rump was hamburger. I was surprised to find that the bullet did exit, at least there was a thumbnail sized hole in the hide, but no blood at all left the carcass. I've shot several coyotes ranging in weight from 20-50 lbs with the 123 grain ELD-M and it has killed every one that I've hit very quickly. Usually I have an exit about the size of a golf ball and lots of blood. Don't know if this helps you at all, but here's my experience with the bullet. Shoot straight and have fun bud.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    The ELDM is constructed exactly like an AMAX. The jackets are the same thickness and the cores are the same. The only real difference is that some ELDMs have a longer ogive to boost BCs and all the ELDMs have the new acetyl resin tip. That’s it. As far as terminal performance, they are the same bullet.

A heavier version will work better at close range/high impact velocities. When shooting frangible style bullets at close range, where impact velocity is high, you want a good amount of sectional density so that the bullet will still penetrate deep enough before the bullet begins expanding rapidly. Too light for caliber at high impact velocities with a frangible bullet will result in shallow penetration and the bullet can blow up on the surface. You either need a heavy for caliber version, or a lower muzzle velocity for close range work with frangible bullets.

Just thought I’d share a few pointers. I much prefer frangible bullets for hunting, and after gaining all the knowledge and experience I have with them now, I always have the absolute best luck using them over tough constructed bullets.